Academic Grievance Procedures

Students who have an academic concern regarding (1) a grade received in a course; (2) an academic decision impacting one's academic progression; or (3) an academic suspension may file a formal written appeal to the appropriate Academic Dean for their program.

In the appeal a student must provide documentation of the extenuating circumstance(s), this may include medical documentation, an obituary or other documents. 

Appeals to return after Academic Suspension must include information regarding why the student failed to meet satisfactory academic progress, how the student plans to get back in compliance, and what has changed that will allow the student to demonstrate satisfactory progress.


Academic Grievance Procedures

A student who believes their academic efforts have not been justly evaluated has the right to be heard. The problem may be the result of exchanges with the instructor, occurrences within the class, or the content of a written evaluation. All grievances should be initiated within the term the alleged violation occurred. The following are the steps to take:

A student who is unsure whether their grievance falls under this description should consult with the appropriate Dean of Undergraduate or Graduate Programs or the Dean of Student Affairs.

Once it is determined that the grievance is academic in nature, every effort should be made to resolve the problem informally. To accomplish this, the student is encouraged to talk directly with the faculty member or mentor. (In exceptional circumstances where a dispute cannot or should not be addressed informally, this step may be omitted.)

If the student cannot resolve the issue with the instructor, they should then explain the situation to the Program Director of that area of study and ask for their assistance in working with the instructor to resolve the issue. If that does not successfully resolve the issue, the student has the option to file an academic grievance.

If the above efforts are unsatisfactory or unsuccessful, a grievance may be filed with the academic dean or designee. The grievance should be in writing and should include the name of the respondent and a description of the specific incident(s) forming the basis of the grievance, an outline of the informal steps taken to resolve the matter, and reference to the desired outcome(s) if appropriate. The formal grievance should be presented no later than 30 days after the student has knowledge of the problem.

The complainant has a right to present witnesses or testimony if they so choose.

The academic dean or designee will investigate and decide how the problem should be resolved, and will render a decision in a written summary to the student and the relevant faculty member or mentor.

The dean’s decision may be appealed in writing to the Appeals Committee. The Appeals Committee will make a ruling within 30 days of receipt of the appeal.

Outside Entities Contact Information

If the complaint cannot be resolved after exhausting the institution’s grievance procedure, the student may file a complaint with the Arizona State Board for Private Postsecondary Education. The student must contact the State Board for further details. The State Board address is 1740 W. Adams, Phoenix, AZ 85007, phone # 602-542-5709, website address:

Students also have the right to contact state authorization or accrediting agency contacts for specific issues. For online students who are residents of states outside of Arizona, consumer inquiries may be directed via the College’s webpage listing contact information for licensing and consumer protection bodies in specific states: