Credit/No Credit Awards

Undergraduate Programs

The full amount of credit established for an undergraduate course will be awarded to each student who successfully completes the course requirements. No partial credit is awarded for courses. Students who do not satisfy course requirements and who have not officially withdrawn from a course will receive a grade of No Credit (NC) or may apply for an Incomplete (I) [See Incomplete Policy for criteria]. Students who withdraw, or are administratively withdrawn from a course after the student-initiated withdraw deadline, will receive No Credit. Receiving no credit in a course lowers the number of credits earned in a given enrollment period, but the number of credits attempted remains the same. This may adversely affect a student’s academic standing. [See Satisfactory Progress.]

Graduate Programs

If a student does not receive a passing grade or credit as determined by the respective graduate program, the instructor of record for the specific course will choose a grade commensurate with the student's level of work, or the student will receive a No Credit (NC). Credit/No Credit is the default for thesis, dissertation, or practicum courses (except for students in the MS Counseling or SJCO program). Students should contact their faculty member if they wish to receive a letter grade for these courses. Receiving No Credit or a non-passing grade for all or part of a term may require a graduate student to take additional course(s) to complete the minimum number of credits required for graduation. Also see Withdrawal from Course policy.

Program Minimum Passing Grade Theory courses and mentored studies default Grades issued Capstone Dissertation Grades issued Practicum and Internship
M.B. A. (Sustainable Leadership)
B Letter grades Yes Yes
M.S. (Counseling) B Letter grades N/A Yes

M.A. (AE, ES, IS, ED)
M.Ed. (Education)

Ph.D. (Sustainability Leadership)

B Letter grades No No

If a student does not receive a passing grade or credit required by the respective graduate program, an instructor or faculty advisor will choose the grade or No Credit (NC) commensurate with the student’s level of work.

Grades will be assigned as the default for all mentored and classroom (online and campus) courses.

No Credit and No Grade

Receiving a No Credit or a non-passing grade for any courses will require any student to take additional course(s) to complete the minimum number of credits required for graduation. Also see Withdrawal from Course policy.

A No Grade or "NG" grade will be assigned if a faculty member does not file their course grades by the deadline. NG grades will be considered an unsatisfactory grade and will negatively impact both a student's course completion rate and their grade point average. It is also used in calculating Academic and Financial Aid Satisfactory progress. Students will need to appeal their Satisfactory progress after grades are submitted by the faculty if their status should be in good standing. 

Incomplete Policy

When a student is unable to complete the work specified in the course or study contract within the span of a session, the student may request an incomplete. The guidelines for incompletes are as follows:

  1. Incompletes will not be awarded for thesis or dissertation credits. Unfinished dissertation work will necessitate enrollment in additional completion credits.
  2. Capstone and thesis courses will be subject to the same incomplete process as other academic courses.
  3. Students will refer to their program handbooks for details on incompletes in practica, student teaching and internships
  4. The student must have completed 75 percent of the coursework to be eligible for the temporary incomplete grade.
  5. The instructor must approve a student’s request for an incomplete by approving an Incomplete Grade contract that the student has initiated.
  6. The maximum time frame to complete a course graded Incomplete is up to two semesters from the end date of the session during which the course was attempted.
  7. The instructor can set an earlier date, but cannot extend the incomplete period beyond the one-year maximum incomplete period. If the instructor and student agree, the earlier date can be extended (within the one-year maximum incomplete period) by submitting an updated Incomplete Contract with the new date.
  8. Evaluation of the incomplete course submitted after the one-year maximum incomplete period will be graded No Credit.
  9.  The incomplete grades will be considered as attempted credits but not earned credits in the Satisfactory Academic Progress calculations. Incomplete grades do not affect the student's GPA.

Evaluation and Grading of Mentored Studies

For independent, mentored-study courses, the College supports the use of “mentors” who meet the policy on faculty qualifications and who are hired by Prescott College to supplement learning for students in structured, individualized courses reviewed, approved, and supervised by an approved Prescott College faculty evaluator.

Change of Evaluation/Grade Change

Students may request a course evaluation or grade change by petitioning the course instructor within one term from the end of the course. Students requesting for their transcript to be translated from CR/NC to letter grades, can submit a request to the appropriate Dean. The Dean will entertain a grade change request that is made less than two years from the end of the course or the conferral of a student's degree. If the Dean grants a request, a signed change of grade form will be submitted to the Office of the Registrar and the student's transcript will be updated.

Prior Learning Assessment / Life Experience Documentation

To receive credit for college-level learning that occurs outside of the classroom, in professional work or in structured workshops, seminars, and training, qualified students may use the Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) process to complete a conversion portfolio. Credit received becomes a part of the student’s transcript. No more than 60 undergraduate credits awarded via Prior Learning Assessment may count towards undergraduate degree requirements. No more than 15 graduate credits awarded via Prior Learning Assessment may count towards graduate degree requirements.